Saturday, November 8, 2008

Why the Admiration?

That is a question I ask myself every year. In my own mind I see myself as this driving manic of educational perfectionism. Virtually all my previous students want to high five me and hug me every time they see me, why the admiration?

Being very observant, I noticed that this “effect” does not happen with other teachers, except a few? Why the admiration?

The answer to the question seems simple but is way more profound; the kids want a relationship with their teacher. They want to feel wanted and special when they are in your presence. I do this with my own bit of sarcastic, corny humor. Don’t get me wrong, my class is not the next “Laugh In” or “Comedy Central.” I follow 3 F’s in my room: (1) Be FIRM (2) Be FAIR (3) Be FUN. They have served me well these last 5 years. I realized a long time ago as a parent and now public school teacher that to enforce rules without a relationship just turns to REBELLION. The thing that inspires and encourages a student is that relationship.

So here is my answer to, “Why the Admiration?”

The students admire and respect me because I admired them first.

No comments: